October 10th marks Mental Health day across the globe! We are lucky to be living in an era where conversations around mental health are openly at a forefront, and are now more than ever, putting weight on the importance of taking care of our minds, just as much as we take care of our bodies. OSL recognizes the magnitude of this and puts emphasis on maintaining a healthy balance between work life and personal life.
A key element of our continuous people first strategy is feedback
At OSL we have an open door policy that encourages employees to speak up and speak out when they have concerns or simply need to be heard. We understand that workplaces are dynamic and employee perspectives change over time. Challenges are inevitable and offer opportunities for us to grow together, feel supported and implement change when needed.
OSL also offers a 24/7 confidential Employee Assistance Program (1-877-207-8833). EAP not only assists employees during times of loss and grief, but it can also assist them with financial and social assistance support, anxiety and any uncertainties they and their immediate family may be experiencing.
Our employees are also encouraged to use the Lifeworks App or website where they can access a multitude of resources to help battle any mental health issues. Counsellors can be reached for face to face, video chat or text conversations. E-courses are offered, which employees can take at their own pace to assess what issues they might be dealing with; from depression to anxiety. Lifeworks also offers frequently released podcasts and a video series covering topics like: Sleep Health, Overcoming Anxiety and Practicing Mindfulness.
Every employee that joins our company becomes part of the bigger OSL family
This is not a term we take lightly. OSL truly believes in a transparent and fully supportive team dynamic that fosters a healthy workspace. We offer flexible scheduling to help employees maximize their work-life balance and invest in THEM by creating an environment where they can offer their best work, feel like they are contributing, and in the end, help a happy customer too.
In addition to the resources offered by OSL internally, there are steps each of our team members are encouraged to practice in order to nurture their mental health when they aren’t at work. These include:
- Keeping Active: Regular exercise can boost your self-esteem, help you concentrate, sleep, and feel better. Exercise keeps the brain healthy, and is also a significant benefit towards improving your mental health.
- Speaking Up: Talking about how you feel with a family member, friend or confidante can alleviate the stresses you put on your mind. It gives you a chance to let go and deal with troubling thoughts.
- Eating Well and Drinking Responsibly: Be mindful about the foods and drinks that you consume and remember the age old saying: “You are what you eat!”
- Taking a Break and Meditating: With so many apps and online resources, it is now easier than ever to take a quick pause within your day to clear your mind and thoughts.
- Thinking Positive! Thinking about the things that you enjoy while you are on vacation and injecting 5% of that into your daily life.
On the clock our team has a “work-hard” mindset, but we carry over that same drive and tenacity when off the clock to “play-hard” too! With the current situation our global community is in, OSL has been striving to support employees in additional ways that can lessen the stresses of this unprecedented “new normal” that we are all having to adapt to. So today, take a moment, a minute, or hour to do the inner work needed to balance yourself, stay healthy and positive. Always remember that we are here to help you because at OSL, you are more than just an employee, you are always family!